The Digital Marketing Evolution
The digital marketing evolution is so new that it first came onto the scene around 20 years ago. The digital industry has only become popular since the proliferation of digital devices such as computers, smartphones and tablets. Before digital marketing existed, traditional marketers relied on commercials, local newspaper ads or billboards to advertise their business/products/services. With digital mediums available for advertising, there are more effective ways to create awareness about your product or service. Also, digital advertisers have access to more information than traditional advertisers. For example, digital advertisers can track how many times a video is viewed, how many times an article is shared etc., to gauge consumer interest in their products/services after digital exposure.
Why is digital marketing so important?
Digital marketing refers to digital techniques used to draw in customers for products and services. Digital avenues include social media, online video, digital newspapers, blogs, mobile phone apps, digital radio stations etc. The digital industry is developing so much that it has become part of everyday life for most people over the age of 15 years old.
What are some examples of digital marketing?
Some examples would be Facebook advertising (primarily targeted at teenagers), Google Adwords (primarily targeted at business owners) and mobile game advertisement (targeted at adults who play mobile games). Businesses use digital marketing to increase sales or awareness about their product or service. Consumers use digital marketing for similar reasons- they want to find the best deals on the products they like.
What digital marketing techniques are used?
There are many digital marketing techniques used. For example, one digital technique is to upload a video of your product on YouTube and ask people to share the link to the video on their social media accounts (i.e., Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter etc.). Another digital technique includes writing short articles about your product/service and posting them on article submission sites like Hubpages.com. Also, digital marketers use AdWords or pay-per-click ads that appear alongside search results when consumers search for specific keywords. These digital marketing tools target consumers who have an interest in your products and services by drawing them onto your website, where you can convert them into customers with relative ease compared to more traditional offline marketing methods such as radio or TV ads.
When was digital marketing first used?
Today digital marketing has become a digital and technological necessity to reach and engage your customers. Although digital marketing is over 20 years old, it started as early as 1994 with an email sent by Hotmail inviting people to join their service. Then Google came along in 1997 with the launch of Adwords, which quickly became one of digital marketings most valuable assets. And today, digital marketing is so much more than just words. Promotions through the internet have developed through the past decades with platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest etc. Today digital marketing plays a huge role for all business types. However, new ways are still being found every day on how to improve digital promotion strategies among businesses, big or small.
Digital marketing is here to stay. Businesses are being built online every day, and entrepreneurs find new ways to improve digital promotion strategies. And customers are becoming more used to digital services, for example, the use of digital banking systems or online shopping etc. Even countries have begun using digital marketing for political purposes, which can be viewed as a way of influencing politics, which has caused some controversy around the world, with political decisions being published through social networks or government-supported digital campaigns. Of course, digital marketing will continue to change and evolve over time, but keeping up to date with it will keep businesses in their best position possible when trying to reach and engage their customers via the internet.
The digital marketing evolution has taken us from digital radio and television to landing pages and ads that display on our mobile devices.
Digital marketing’s digital development has been driven by factors such as:
- Advances in technology.
- The Internet (and related technologies such as websites, browsers, etc.) becoming more popular.
- Businesses began using online tools like email, websites, social media sites and web analytics software.
- Consumers started using digital devices, digital media and digital activities.
- Businesses began exploiting digital technology to market their products or services.
Digital marketing has revolutionised the way businesses market their products and services. Digital marketing activities include digital communications tools, digital media channels used for digital purchasing, ads, etc. Social media sites now play an essential role in digital marketing as they help attract customers’ attention. In addition, they connect companies with existing and potential customers. This digital evolution is also changing how businesses are run, as demonstrated by companies like Uber, which uses mobile technology.
The digital marketing evolution has brought with it both challenges and opportunities. Businesses must keep up with digital trends so they do not lose existing customers or attract new customers, which can happen if digital marketing strategies are not updated to suit emerging digital trends. On the other hand, the digital revolution has provided new opportunities for businesses that have embraced digital trends and can market their products and services to a broader audience. It is also placing pressure on competitors because there is an increase in competition from companies that may offer similar products and services but better prices. In addition, consumers are now more selective about what they buy, seen through the digital marketing practices that businesses have adopted in recent years. Finally, through digital marketing, companies have been able to connect with their customers on a very personal level.
Digital marketing used to be confined to areas such as social media and digital PR or advertising but has now evolved to become so much more than this. Digital marketing strategies are being implemented across all aspects of the business, including customer service through email and call centres. For example, 71% of internet users aged 18-24 use online chat for customer services.
The digital marketing evolution can also be seen in digital marketing careers that have emerged since digital marketers did not exist a decade ago. For example, there are jobs for content managers, SEO specialists and community managers, to name a few digital marketing careers.
How does digital marketing differ from traditional marketing?
Traditional Marketing versus Digital Marketing:
- In traditional marketing, more rules and regulations apply to both the advertiser and the consumer. For example, in many countries, people have to pay a fee to watch TV, which means that if advertisers want to access it, they have to pay a certain amount for their adverts on TV. Therefore, traditional advertising can be costly, especially when ads are placed in high traffic areas such as on the front page of newspapers or TV channels with big audiences.
- In digital marketing, digital marketers follow very few rules and regulations because digital venues are not truly ‘owned’ by anyone. For example, with digital advertising, anyone can upload an advertisement on YouTube without paying Google anything. In addition, there are digital platforms where you can upload your digital ad for free (or almost free). Thus, some digital advertising is truly cost-effective for both the advertiser and the consumer.
- Digital marketers have almost endless ways of targeting consumers in order to draw interest towards their product or service. In contrast, traditional adverts are limited in the sense that they cannot be tailored to demographics, interests etc., as well as digital ads can be.
Why is it so popular?
The digital industry is so popular because it has fewer barriers than traditional forms of mass communication. For example, for a business to advertise on television, they have to pay an arm and a leg to create awareness about their product/service, which means that digital advertising is more cost-effective. Also, digital adverts are targeted to specific consumers’ digital footprints, which means that digital advertisers can show their digital advertisement to people who have already expressed an interest in the advertiser’s product/service (i.e., digital advertisements work like word-of-mouth marketing).
How is digital marketing changing the world?
The digital industry is changing the way people communicate with each other as well as how companies do business since they have access to more information via digital mediums such as social networks, which means that they can gather data about consumers’ preferences and market accordingly. It also makes it easier for companies to contact consumers directly by sending push notifications to their digital devices. Digital media also allows companies to create digital venues where they can interact with customers and thus build relationships.
How can digital marketing benefit you?
Digital marketing enables companies to create customer engagement which means that they are able to establish good relationships with their customers through social networking sites and online communities. As a result, consumers will trust brands even though some may be sceptical about digital advertisement methods because they feel it’s invasive since digital advertisements can monitor their digital movement.
- Digital marketing enables brands to influence consumers’ decisions since digital advertisements tend to be more engaging and persuasive, making it a more effective strategy than traditional ones.
- Digital marketing provides a way for companies to expand their customer base by reaching new consumers via digital media platforms such as social media networks which makes them accessible through digital devices such as smartphones and tablets.
- Digital marketing allows brands to analyse consumers’ digital behaviour using technology which helps improve digital advertisement methods based on data analysis of consumers’ preferences.
- Digital marketers have access to advanced technologies that allow them to track and target specific audiences efficiently depending on their needs and preferences, which increases the chance of generating sales leads for businesses.
What lies ahead?
Digital marketing is expected to grow since digital media and devices such as smartphones and tablets make it more accessible and engaging. Thus, companies can target specific audiences based on their digital behaviour.
How can WordFlo help your business with digital marketing?
The digital marketing evolution is ever-changing, with new digital marketing tools and strategies being developed every day. In order to get the latest digital marketing news, trends, and updates for your business, it’s essential to have a digital marketing strategy in place that brings customers back to you time and again. We offer digital marketing solutions which help businesses of all sizes manage their online reputation. Contact us today to find out how we can help grow your online presence.